I don't necessarily agree with celebrating Lent- since I find it difficult to believe that God, who asks us not to live by works, would also ask us to self sacrifice for 40 days.
hmm.
But, some of my friends have come up with good ideas for how to celebrate Lent. In an effort to learn more about the world, and explore their sin (I guess), they have decided to refrain from certain things during the Lenten season.
I don't know how useful this is, since every time I try to teach myself something, God just reminds me that I need HIM to teach me, but I suppose God can use Lent for the sake of teaching, and even our self-sacrifice (which I am sure he doesn't want just for the sake of self-sacrifice).
Matthew 9:13 "Go and learn what this means, ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners."
So, out of love (for everyone around me, and for God), I have decided to give up complaining.
I know, the irony. Since, I have technically been complaining about Lent for 2 paragraphs.
Yes, I have decided to give up complaining.
And really, I don't even know what that's going to mean- since I think complaining is SUCH a part of my life that I often don't even realize I'm doing it.
40 days of no complaining.
I think I will fail everyday.
Maybe it will be more like "40 days of remembering God's grace for me, and trying not to complain"
LOL
So, my blog may not be any fun for the next 40 days- but instead, maybe I will replace my complaining with gratitude. God has been very good to me, even on the worst of days.
Today, as I was walking to work I was praying and thinking and I thought to myself: God, you know, we do all these works for you, and what do we get in return?
And the holy spirit, just said inside me: eternal life.
and I muttered back, "great eternal life for works?"
and he muttered back, "no Luisa, eternal life, and works. You get to do my works. And that is a reward in itself."
I always think of Paul dying in prison.
I wonder if he complained.
No matter what happens after tomorrow, NO COMPLAINING.
Paul, in prison, in fact said, "To die is gain and to live is Christ." I know what you mean about the idea of being works as confusing. I have really found God's redemption in considering them as a blessing, that God INVITES us to be a part of His mission... as the Holy Spirit told you :)
ReplyDeleteI have a book of devotionals that coincide with the liturgical year (Christmas, Epiphany, Lent, Easter, etc.) and I think you'd like to read what it says about Lent and the purpose of Lent. Come over again!
:) love you.
ReplyDelete